Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 13:47:10 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        ejohnst@green.mail.postal.net (Eric M. Johnston)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems Booting HD

(redirected to -questions)

As Eric M. Johnston wrote:

> and F2, BSD.  My obligatory DOS partion boots fine, yet the BSD one
> refuses to boot: pressing F2 just causes it to repeat the choices and
> "Default: F?" prompt.
>
> Now, I searched the mailing list archvies, and found many messages with a
> similar question, but no real answers (or, at least, no answers that apply
> and work in my case).

You should have found.  This F? thing is a good indication that your
disk geometry didn't match between what the BIOS is using, and what
the FreeBSD installation has been using.

You gotta reinstall, and use the proper values (if necessary, using
the `G)' option in the partition editor).  Alternatively, you could
hack the fdisk table, but unless you really know what you're doing, i
wouldn't recommend this.

--
cheers, J"org