Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:59:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@os.org.za>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Doug White wrote:

> Good vendors include:
> Netgear
> Asante
> HP
>
> Bad vendors include:
> Kingston (SOHO line especially)
> LinkSys (?)

Their 5 port hub is, well, words can't describe it, I've seen FTP
transfers top out at under 100K/sec on a net with only two machines on
it. On the other hand, I picked up one of their 8 port 10/100 switches
(for $329, that's why I trusted them again), and I love it.  On the exact
same network I was seeing 1M/sec transfers until I upgraded to 100Mbit
NICs.  Now, everything is running 100Mbit full duplex, no collisions, and
FTP speeds are limited by how fast the machines read/write to the HD, even
though there are more machines on the network.