Date:      Sun, 17 Apr 2016 11:56:11 -0700
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Jouni Laakso <jounijl@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org" <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Huawei E3372 ( sonera.fi )

hi! this is cool to know! any ideas why the latency is higher?

-a

On 16 April 2016 at 13:44, Jouni Laakso via freebsd-wireless
<freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hello list,
>

> I wanted to send this information to help others in their quest of 4G con=
nectivity with FreeBSD here at Europes continent and in Finland. Huawei doe=
s not include a lot of information about their products. These 4G-network m=
odems are usually provided by the subscriberline companies and with their o=
wn products. This one was from Sonera (Teliasonera, .se and .fi) here in Fi=
nland.
> Huawei E3372 seems to be a CDCE device. /boot/loader.conf has to have a l=
ine if_cdce_load=3D"YES". Only usb_modeswitch works with this one. Command:
> /usr/local/sbin/usb_modeswitch --default-vendor 0x12d1 --default-product =
0x1f01 -J
> swithes to the CDCE mode. Device ue0 appears to be configured (with ifcon=
fig -command). Using 'dhclient ue0' a network address is found and using th=
e address and adding a default router the network interface is usable. An a=
dmin HTTP-page can be found from http://192.168.1.1. CDCE has two network i=
nterfaces at both ends of USB. Both ends can be configured with their own I=
P-address.
> ID:s   idVendor =3D 0x12d1 idProduct =3D 0x1f01 are switched to ID:s idVe=
ndor =3D 0x12d1  idProduct =3D 0x14dc . This seems to be correct since the =
connection to the Internet succeeded with cdce.
> Using u3g.c:U3G_DEV(HUAWEI, K3372_INIT, U3GINIT_HUAWEISCSI)
> Causes the modem to appear as a device id 0x1442 . Using this, only NTP p=
ort was listening. Maby this is a ntp mode. Using:U3G_DEV(HUAWEI, E3372_INI=
T, U3GINIT_HUAWEISCSI2)
> does not give any results. These are the current possibilities if compili=
ng a new kernel every time is possible.
> It would be easier if a device had only one identification code. Reading =
about the different codes from usb_modeswitch list, it is maby clear that t=
he service provider can change the device ID:s. This is not very easy to th=
e users. If the device was only a modem, it  would be usable without the fl=
ip-flop states of the modem-devices. ISO image is given with Windows and Li=
nux drivers or software and after installing the software, the state become=
s a modem state. Possibly with a HTTP-interface to connecto to the Internet=
.
> Quick test with Linux shows that the latency time is less with Linux. Pre=
viously using PPP with these kind of wireless devices, FreeBSD has shown be=
st latency times. This is an estimate. Using an external modem (propably Li=
nux inside) caused more latency with PPP over the previous 3G link.