Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:45:44 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob89@bobj.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: netipx mega-MFC (1/2)

On Friday 25 February 2005 08:55 am, Robert Watson wrote:
> I've just merged a fairly large set of changes to the netipx tree from
> HEAD to RELENG_5.  These primarily consist of structural changes required
> for the locking of the netipx protocol, but excludes the locking changes
> themselves.  The theory is we'll let these changes settle for a few days,
> then bring the locking changes in in time for 5.4-RELEASE.  While these
> changes have been tested in HEAD, and have been in the tree generally for
> at least a month, netipx doesn't get a lot of exercise so there may be
> problems.  Please let me know if you experience any.

I updated to 5.3-stable this afternoon.  Attempting to boot ended in a panic
(IIRC it was a signal 18).  I could boot to single user mode so I removed all
the Netware stuff from /boot/loader.conf and from /etc/rc.conf and tried
again, I then had no problems.  I didn't have time for further investigation,
but it appears that something in the Netware support is extremely not right.
I expect to have more time to investigate this on Monday, because after
upgrading a Netware server, its NFS server is not playing nice with the BSD
NFS client, and I've got to get something working to allow us to get our
FreeBSD web server talking to the Netware file server again.

I'm wasn't planning to be near that system again until Monday, although if you
need details about my configuration I can dig them out remotely and send them
to you.  I'm not brave enough to risk another panic when I'm not physically
there to reset the system, but if you are willing to work on it this weekend
I'm willing to drive over there and test it.  I would REALLY like to see the
Netware stuff working in 5.4R.

A few weeks ago I had the same panic when I tried to set up Netware support on
5.3-Release.  It went away when I updated to -stable then (I believe it was
around Jan 24), but the packets going out on the wire were not quite right,
so I couldn't actually use it for networking.

- Bob