Date:      Fri, 02 Aug 2002 21:05:42 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Fabio Miranda <fmirand@yahoo.com>
Cc:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD official help!

Fabio Miranda wrote:

> Hi, I followed Joe adiveced and keep failing with
> gnome2, and the last advcied "portupdate -rf gettext"
> dont let me "undo" the changes, so i cant run apps:
> %mutt
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libintl.so.2"
> not found
>
> HELP!, WHAT'S HAPPENING TO FREEBSD PACKAGES!!!
>
> THE OLNY PORTS THAT WORK ARE THE ONE THAT COMES ON
> A -RELEASE CDROM???

Don't panic, please. You can simply workaround the problem by
extracting libintl.so.2 from
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.6-release/devel/gettext.tgz
and putting it into /usr/local/lib. Something like the following:

# cd /usr/local
# fetch
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-4.6-release/devel/gettext.tgz
# tar xvfz gettext.tgz lib/libintl.so.2
# rm gettext.tgz

-Maxim