Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 1999 02:47:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        Joachim Strombergson <Joachim.Strombergson@emw.ericsson.se>
Cc:        freebsd-smp <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Affinity

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, Joachim Strombergson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I've missed the message boats a few times so... Could anyone explain the
> affinity thing again. If I understood it correctly, it's used to lock a
> process to a certain CPU.

More or less right.  Processor affinity needn't be implmented such that a
process only runs on a certain CPU, it can also just make it more likely
that it runs on that CPU.  How much of a win it is depends on a number of
factors, like what the job is, how big its primary data and code sets are,
and the cache coherency model of the machine is.

David Scheidt