Date:      10 Dec 2001 16:43:22 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best service on earth!

> > Honest (snipped from my dict.) -- Not taking unfair advantage; truthful;
> > trustworthy; equitable; fair; having integrity; guileless; open.
>
> I believe that what I did is honest. If a shop has an item that I want on
> display at a price that I like, I hand them over my cash and buy it - it
> is called "trade".

You believe wrong, for the cases you described where you understood the
marked prices to be mistakes.  An honest person, being concerned about
his integrity, being fair, and interested in equitable dealing, tells
the merchant about the suspected error and gives him an opportunity to
correct his error so the exchange is equitable.

The sale of goods involves a legal contract (in US Law anyway), whether
the terms are discussed or written or not, but if the parties don't
understand and agree on the terms of the contract (like an agreed-upon
price, because of an error in marking the price), then the contract can
be held invalid in court.  You-all don't care about US Law, but it does
show that the basic concept is important enought to have been put into
law.

Now, like Mike alluded to, commercial law has gotten very complicated
and allows and sometimes even requires all sorts of inequities and
unfair situations, in the process of trying to correct worse or more
common ones.  Fortunately, lawyers don't define "honest" for us.

> So, what you are saying is that if you see a product at a very low price
> at a store, which could be due to an error, the management going bonkers
> or merely a big bargain, you are going to beg them to pay more?

I didn't say anything like that.  I said an honest person whould not
take advantage of someone else's mistake.  If he expected a mistake,
he would bring it to the merchant's attention so a fair deal could be
negotiated.

Now, if YOU are saying that it's OK to be dishonest in these situations,
then I won't argue with you about that in this forum.  But to say that
it isn't dishonest is to call black white and I felt I had to comment.

Another case where you can see this concept embodied in law, is when
the bank feeds huge amounts of money into someone's checking account
and they take it out in cash, close their account, and don't tell
anyone.  Such people should be and are sent to prison when found out,
depending on the amount of their theft.