Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2012 08:15:30 +0100
From:      Bob Bishop <rb@gid.co.uk>
To:        "Matthew X. Economou" <xenophon@irtnog.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and IPMI how-to (was Re: su problem)

Hi,

On 15 Jun 2012, at 02:27, Matthew X. Economou wrote:

> Would some kind soul point me to a howto for configuring IPMI on
> FreeBSD?  I have a Dell PowerEdge 840 that supports IPMI, but I have
> no idea how to set it up - either in the BIOS or in FreeBSD.  I've
> messed around with ipmitools a little, but I haven't gotten it to
> work.

To get things like remote management and serial over LAN working, the =
config has to be right on both the OS and the platform. Others have =
addressed the FreeBSD end; configuration of the platform is documented =
here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/software/smbmcmu

but you'll have to figure out which version is applicable to your box. =
When you have ipmitool working, the output of `ipmitool mc info' may =
help with that. Also, it seems like your box implements IPMI v1.5, which =
is rather less friendly than v2.

--
Bob Bishop
rb@gid.co.uk