Date:      Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:29:06 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org, David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ARM at the Cambridge DevSummit

On Jul 11, 2012, at 8:13 PM, Tim Kientzle wrote:

>=20
> On Jul 11, 2012, at 6:10 AM, David Chisnall wrote:
>=20
>> Hello all of the FreeBSD/ARM flavoured people,
>>=20
>> The Cambridge DevSummit in August will be attended by some people =
from ARM, so it would be good to have as many FreeBSD/ARM developers =
there as possible.  If you haven't signed up yet, please do.
>>=20
>> Please also let me have a list of topics that you'd like to discuss =
with people from ARM so that I can try to make sure that relevant people =
attend.
>=20
> I won't be able to attend, but after some recent work on
> ARM booting, I'm very curious if there are emerging
> conventions (I hesitate to use the word "standards")
> for how ARM systems boot.

There's two standards that we can/should follow.  First, there's uldr, =
which is the uboot + /boot/loader path.  This works well enough, but has =
a weak point here and there.  The FDT stuff is the future for most ARM =
platforms, but currently is limited to the Marvel SoCs (where it is =
pretty much mandatory).  I believe we should adapt this for the new =
armv6 families that are coming in, since new Linux platforms have to =
support it, and these are "new" by that definition.

The second is a more direct interface to uboot.  Or rather a more direct =
interface to the Linux standard booting protocol.  I've made some =
sketches on the wall, and filled in a few things here.  However, it is =
very incomplete.  I've been unable to test it because I've been unable =
to build a bootm compatible image yet, and uboot only uses the Linux ABI =
when you boot with bootm.  For the 'go' interface that's documented on =
the FreeBSDAtmel wiki page, args are passed in another way.  I can boot =
with that, but not bootm.  To be honest, I've not tracked the problem =
much yet, other than to notice it...

> Warner's been talking about working towards a true
> GENERIC kernel on ARM.  That looks almost feasible,
> but we still seem a long ways from being able to build
> a generic bootloader.

Yes.  There's the whole point of the boot args stuff I've done: to try =
to have a standardish interface to the kernel.  All the boot loader =
interfaces would parse the goo from the boot loader and set =
variables/structures in the kernel that the rest of the kernel =
interfaces to.

> Is this likely to change?

I'd like it to, but it is a lot of work, and there's a lot of =
rototilling to do in the Atmel area...

Warner=