Date:      Tue, 01 Apr 2003 14:40:34 +0200
From:      David Landgren <david@landgren.net>
To:        "BSD." <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Which Processor and motherboard is better (new to FreeBSD)

Paredes Sánchez Martín A. wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I want to build a new PC with FreeBSD, which processor
> is best for FreeBSD.
>
> Intel builds processors and motherboards, which gave me
> a feel of good performance between this two elements.
>
> Intel has something called Hyper-Threading Technology,
> Which turbo charges your PC to respond to today's
> multitasking lifestyle.

4.7 knows about hyper-threading, insofar as the kernel config file
admits an 'HTT' option. As to whether it's better or not to have it, I
can't really say. 2.4GHz is so ridiculously fast (kernel compiles in
less than two minutes, postfix in less than a minute)... I suspect it
will be difficult to detect the difference between with/without in
everyday use.

I'm building a new mail relay, and it turns out the machine was
specified as RAID-5. I suspect that that is going to have a much more
adverse impact on performance than HTT or not.

As to "responding to today's multitasking lifestyle", I sooner see PAE
implemented in the kernel, to unlock the memory I have above 4Gb.

David