Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:09:15 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Outlook With FreeBSD IMAP

Juha Saarinen wrote:
> Outlook has some good features, no doubt about that, but it's not a
> great IMAP client. Outlook Express is better - doesn't use Personal
> Storage Files that grow into insane sizes and suffer corruption, plus
> allows you to relocate Special Folders to the IMAP server, like Sent
> Messages and Drafts. You want to be able to do this, trust me. OE is
> also much quicker.
>
> Thunderbird has its own set of issues, but it's the best readily
> available IMAP client for Windows users currently. The latest beta of
> version 2.0 works rather nicely. It doesn't have the features
> corporate Outlook users expect though, like good contacts management,
> calendaring and ability to synch with mobile devices.
>
> If Outlook was a better IMAP client and could be coaxed into handling
> email properly without resorting to VBA hacks, I'd switch to it.
> Unfortunately however, Microsoft is turning a deaf ear to fixing those
> issues, and Outlook 2007 for instance has taken a few steps forward
> (better IMAP support) but also some backwards (quoting is badly broken
> by default).
>
> Bringing it back to FreeBSD, Outlook will work with any old IMAP
> server. Just not as well as other clients.

Unforunately you (and many others on the list) have missed the point I
think. The OP said that he was stuck with outlook because of his pda
syncing, and there definitely isn't a means available (or at least a
good, popular one -- I know I'm inviting flames from KDE / Gnome
lovers..), in Unix for PDA syncing because everyone chooses Windows. Bleh..

Even OSX doesn't have a good mobile device syncing tool and it's
lightyears ahead of what Gnome and KDE have in some respects.

I honestly would use another client for your mail though, since Gmail's
pop3 service (while nice) is less than to be desired..
-Garrett