Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 01:52:41 -0800
From:      David O'Brien <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: KERNCONF instead of KERNEL?

On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 12:43:30PM -0600, Andrew Hesford wrote:
> My method has not failed so far:
>
> make buildworld >& buildworld.log &
> cd /sys/i386/conf && config -r HECUBUS    #While buildworld runs
> cd ../../compile/HECUBUS && make depend all install
> #shutdown and boot to single user, using the old kernel that make
> #install archived.
> mount -a
> make installworld

You obviously were not around for the Binutils 2.9.1 -> 2.10.0 upgrade
when I changed some of the ASM bits in the i386 kernel and 2.9.1 would no
longer understand the sources.  (or you're on an Alpha)

The other place this will bite you is if the kernel needs a newer version
of config(8) to build.  We see this quite often in -CURRENT.

Your method is *flawed* and *wrong*.  Please listen to what those that
know what they are talking about have to say.

--
-- David    (obrien@FreeBSD.org)