Date:      Sat, 7 Jun 1997 15:05:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      tom@tomqnx.com (Tom Torrance at home)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        scsi@freebsd.org, tom@tomqnx.com
Subject:   Re: CD-R & SCSI Problems

> (Moved to the scsi list, that's what it is for.)
>
> As Tom Torrance at home wrote:
>
> > You are absolutely correct. ANother unfounded assumption bites the
> > dust.  I have absolutely no idea what is causing this, it seems to
> > happen every time the tape is either opened or closed - and 'seems'
> > to cause no harm.
>
> Turn on SCSIDEBUG, and see which command is causing it.  It might be a
> LOAD UNLOAD MEDIUM, or PREVENT ALLOW MEDIUM REMOVAL.

Tried that. No additional information was output.

> > THe tape drive is an HP Colorado T4000 running off my ahc AHA-2740A.

Actually reports at boot as:
"HP T4000s  1.07" type 1 removeable SCSI 2

This is the latest and greatest 4-8 GB Travan drive.

> It wouldn't surprise me if the SCSI implementation of these drives
> weren't the brightest.  We've recently seen similar (worse, i think)
> examples for a cheap Conner tape.  The behaviour of this drive made me
> shout that it's apparently a drive that has a 50-pin connector looking
> like SCSI, but it isn't really SCSI.  (It violated the specs all over
> the place, they didn't even bother to implement some mandatory
> commands.)

Before the problems started, (while I was doing 'make world'), I decided
to backup my Windows 95 machine, so I plugged it into that one, and
did a backup with the supplied software.  Naturally, I used compressed
mode. The drive was never powered off since then as it has no on/off
switch.  The following is the output of an 'mt status' now:

/kernel: st0(ahc0:6:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0 Invalid command operation code
Present Mode:   Density = 0x45         Blocksize = 512 bytes
---------available modes---------
Mode 0:         Density = 0x00         Blocksize variable
Mode 1:         Density = X3.136-1986  Blocksize = 512 bytes
Mode 2:         Density = X3.39-1986   Blocksize variable
Mode 3:         Density = X3.54-1986   Blocksize variable

Is there any possibility that the density table listed in
scsiconf.h is seriously out of date?

> --
> cheers, J"org
>
> joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/ -- NIC: JW11-RIPE
> Never trust an operating system you don't have sources for. ;-)

Regards,
Tom