Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 10:24:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kyle Tucker <kylet@shore.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 3.3 on Compaq 4500 w/ Smart RAID 2/E

I have a Compaq 4500 which is EISA bus (no PCI) with a Smart
RAID Array 2/E controller. From all my attempts and research
I have come up with the followinq conclusions, perhaps all
incorrect. :)

- Any SCSI disks in the 4500 itself on the embedded controller
can't use the NCR driver (ncr0) as it appears to be a PCI driver
and 3.3 refused to load it from visual config as device ncr0 is
not found.

- According to an old post, I cannot load the OS directly onto
the RAID array, that I must put the OS in a seperate disk and
use the array for extra storage. I also could not get a custom
kernel to recognize it without hard-coding the EISA slot number
in ida.c as someone suggested and then the system hangs during
the auto probe.

So am I barking up the wrong tree here or should I be
able to load the OS on either of these? If on the embedded
controller, what driver do I need?

- Kyle