Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 18:45:55 +0300
From:      Adrian Pavlykevych <pam@polynet.lviv.ua>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problem with 802.1q VLANs under 3.3-Stable

Hello!

Recenty I've tried to configure tagged VLANs on FreeBSD 3.3-Stable. After
sucessful compilation of kernel with "pseudo-device vlan 16" option and
compiling patched ifconfig with vlan support (from recently published
vlan.tar.gz tarball by Bill Paul  <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>), I've
configured two VLANs on the xl0 interface and connected it to 3Com SuperStack
Switch 3300. I'm able to ping hosts in both VLANs (and get appropriate
vlan_start message from kernel), but no UDP or TCP traffic seem to go through.

BTW, I've seen similar message in the freebsd-* archives but no real
solution/bugfix.

Can you advice on the ways to debug this? (I know that tcpdump is not VLAN
capable and ends with kernel panic). Answering hosts were connected to VLANs
without tagging so each have seen only one VLAN. The only devices doing tag
insertion were FreeBSD and SuperStack. Same config with Linux 2.2-something
with VLAN support works ok. I've tested with both stock if_vlan.c and one from
Pauls tarball.

I'll try to provide you with any debug information upon request.

Card: 3Com 905B
Switch: 3Com SuperStack || Switch 3300
FreeBSD: 3.3-Stable CVSupped on Oct 16

Thanks in advance,

--
Adrian Pavlykevych 			email: 		<pam@polynet.lviv.ua>
System Administrator			phone/fax:	+380 (322) 742041