Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:52:19 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird problems with BIND 8.3.1-REL

Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     I am having weird problems with BIND.  It started happening about a month
>     and a half ago.  named would start returning immediate host name lookup
>     failures for just about everything and never recover.

	That's not good. :)  I assume you're using it as a resolver from the
dump.

>     I dumped named in one of these instances.  The dump file (500K) is
>     temporarily at:  http://apollo.backplane.com/named_dump.db .  If there
>     are any DNS gurus out there I would appreciate a look-see.

	Unfortunately, the db is generally not the problem. The only way to
diagnose it is to up the debug level and log what's happening while it's
actually broken.

>     Is anyone aware of any issues with named?  I see that the current
>     version in the tree appears to be 8.3.2-T1B (which I just installed
>     a second ago).

	I just updated the bind8 port to 8.3.2-RELEASE, which I recommend that
you run instead. I saw some weird problems with the pre-release versions
of 8.3.2 that seem to be fixed now. I also added a new knob to the port
so you can make -DREPLACE_SYSTEM_BIND install and have it update the
stuff in /usr instead of installing to /usr/local.

Good luck,

Doug

--
   "We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power.
      And in this great conflict, ...  we will see freedom's victory."
          State of the Union, January 28, 2002

         Do YOU Yahoo!?