Date:      Sat, 06 Sep 2014 16:59:47 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Zoran Kolic <zkolic@sbb.rs>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update to pkg 1.3.7

On 06/09/2014 14:39, Zoran Kolic wrote:
> After being away for a while, I found posts on new
> pkg and problems with upgrading packages.
> I assume the correct way nowadays would be to first
> upgrade pkg to >=1.3.7. Then to issue pkg update -f.
> Then to make "pkg install whatever", just as it should
> be like before?
> Sorry to look like falling from Mars, but I found a
> lot of users posting problems.
> Best regards
>
>                             Zoran

There was an issue found which is resolved in 1.3.7
pkg check -Ba is also needed to fix the db

from /usr/ports/UPDATING -

  Please note announcement for special instructions at:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-announce/2014-August/000086.html

  - Users need to run 'pkg update -f' and 'pkg check -Ba' after upgrading to
    pkg-1.3.7 and before updating any other packages. This avoids needing to
    reinstall anything not needed due to changed shlibs.
     For binary package users:
      # pkg install ports-mgmt/pkg
      # pkg update -f
      # pkg check -Ba
      # pkg upgrade
     For port users:
      # make -C /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg build deinstall install clean
      # pkg check -Ba
  - People building packages for serving to other systems need to rebuild
    all packages with 1.3.7.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler