Date:      Tue, 10 Nov 2020 10:27:46 +0100
From:      Julien Cigar <julien@perdition.city>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CARP with epair

On Mon, Nov 09, 2020 at 05:55:05PM -0800, John-Mark Gurney wrote:
> Julien Cigar wrote this message on Mon, Nov 09, 2020 at 15:33 +0100:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've setup a VNET jail (with epair and bridge) with a floating ip (vhid)
> > on the "b" side of the epair interface. It works well, as soon as I
> > restart the jail: the carp status stays in BACKUP and never return to
> > MASTER. Any idea what I'm missing? Is CARP supposed to work with epair?
>
> Did you set net.inet.carp.preempt=1?  Or do you not yet have another
> peer and that is why you expect that it'd come back as MASTER?

Yes, I've set net.inet.carp.preempt=1 in the VNET jail /etc/sysctl.conf,
and I have another peer (running on the HOST currently).
I found the problem: for some reasons I had to issue a service pf reload
after a restart of the jail. I guess probably some race condition with
the epair/vlan/... interfaces and/or the carp demotion counter and the
pflogd/pfsync interfaces .. I've to investigate

this is my config: https://gist.github.com/silenius/5f556a036330f1595e2e6fcdd5e5e18e

Thank you,
Julien