Date:      Thu, 6 Mar 2003 20:01:23 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        "David P. Discher" <dpd@dpdtech.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Port: exim-4.12_2

On (2003/03/06 11:24), David P. Discher wrote:

> I was venturing into new ground trying to use exim instead of sendmail.
> Right now, I can't seem to get exim fully functioning.
>
> First, in debug level, I keep getting :
>     /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libmysqlclient.so.10" not found

Show me output from an Exim port build, e.g.

cd /usr/ports/mail/exim-mysql
make clean
script build.log make install
mail -s 'Re: FreeBSD Port: exim-4.12_2' sheldonh@starjuice.net \
    < build.log

> Even though I've added the current path to ldconfig.  This may be preventing
> exim from processing the queues too.

What is "the current path"?

> However, the more pressing thing SMTP AUTH PAM or pwcheck access (as I could
> do without mysql).   The pwcheck seems that it can't find it or connect.
> PAM seems to be trying, but I can't seem to find the right pam_*.so to use.
> Do I need to download and install the pam_exim.so from the Linux-PAM stuff ?

This sounds very confused.  You need to decide what authentication
authority you want to query.  If you want to query a mysql database, you
don't need PAM.  If you want to use OPIE (S/Key), RADIUS or some other
mechanism that PAM happens to support, then go ahead with that.

Have you looked at the Exim FAQ with respect to SMTP AUTH?

> There seems to be a lot of questions on the web, but not many answers on
> exim.  Sendmail seems to be a pain, but I always seems to find answers
> somewhere.

That hasn't been my experience at all on the exim-users mailing list.
:-)

I'd suggest that you take this up on that list if the FAQ and archives
don't help you.  Application-specific questions tend to move off-topic
quickly on this list.

Ciao,
Sheldon.