Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 22:46:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   new sound card

Alright, this just bit me in the ass... I just bought a card today
that says "Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI" on the box. Well, as far as I can
tell this card uses the es1371 chip. Well, I did a little digging because
apparently the card's pci device id wasn't in the es137x.c file. So what I
did was I put it in the file, and tried to make it configure as a 1371
chip. However I got an error when I did this:

pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0xe400-0xe43f irq 11 at device 9.0 on pci0
pcm0: ac97 codec invalid or not present (id == 0)

The mixer would not configure with this, and the driver wouldn't attach,
so I went to ac97.c and found the error message, and commented out the
"return ENODEV" statement so that I could make it attach the driver and
see what would happen. Well, when I did that, I got another error in
addition to the 2 above:

pcm0: ac97 codec reports dac not ready

however, the driver attaached, and I can use the mixer devices, and I can
play CD's, but pcm audio still won't play, and there are no errors on the
console when I try to play mp3's or any other kind of sounds. So I guess
my question is:

is anyone working on getting the device with id 0x58801274 (the closest
card originally listed in the file was: 0x50001274) to work? Or does
anyone already have this card working?

Ken