Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 21:52:37 -0500
From:      Tony Johnson <gjohnson@gs.verio.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        kstewart@urx.com, Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD is being extremely slow..

1.5x gain.  10% gain.  Post your computers speed using one of the unix
benchmark programs, overclock your box , then do the same benchmark
program. I bet you will find that you did not get a 1.5X gain!  Look at
all the factors of computer speed that you have no control over.

1. Cabling standards
2. IDE and Scsi standards
3.  Disk rotational speed
4.  System/Video Ram speed
5.  pci bus saturation.  Yes STB has driver patches for thier 128 pci
video cards because they hog up your pci bus.  Overclocking your cpu
would only make this problem worse because the pci bus bottle neck is
now worse.

Not only do you make your computer more unstable by overclocking it, but
if you used one of the unix benchmark programs , I'd bet that you did
not see 10% speed increase in your computer.  You are also damaging your
equipment.  If you wish to throw away $$$ , could I give you my mailing
address :-)