Date:      Sat, 10 Apr 1999 19:28:08 -0500
From:      "Pedro Fernando Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
To:        David Goddard <goddard@acm.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A wee bit of advice

David Goddard escribió:

> Specifically, I'd like to code in an area that interests me - such as FreeBSD
> (system or applications - I'm flexible), where I've been a happy user for a
> number of years but not exactly contributed much.  I've read the relevant
> section of the handbook, with the todo lists &c., but I'm still at a bit of
> a loss for where to start - having trouble seeing the wood from the trees I
> think...

The only thing I can say is.have fun. If it's not fun, it's probably not worth it
anyway. Start by taking your preferred programming language and doing trivial
things. Progressively you will find there are some things you have ALWAYS wanted
to do and...BANG you're lost :-).

> Any tips (such as ideas for a project, anecdotes or pointers to some good
> texts on systems programming)?

Everyone nowadays uses C or a C++ derived language (Java, Python...); somehow it's
not important what you want to use as long as you solve your own requirements. I
have tried to start learning Modula-3 (I was a good Pascal programmer once), but I
always end up porting something in C that I need, or "suggesting" the features I
want to see...
That said, I unpacked my old 3D Studio to hopefully do some nice FreeBSD animated
logos.

Hope I didn't confuse you more,

    Pedro.