Date:      Sat, 1 Nov 1997 01:07:07 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@bob.scl.ameslab.gov>, Chris Vance <cvance@tis.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LKM Interface

Stefan Esser scribbled this message on Oct 31:
> On 1997-10-30 19:40 -0800, John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org> wrote:
> > > Wow.. I didn't realize that this was in current already. :)  How do I
> > > go about converting my PCI device driver to use it?  Also, are there
> >
> > well.. basicly look at the definition of DECLARE_MODULE.. only problem
> > is that I don't know if the pci bus code can rescan the bus for "new"
> > drivers as they loaded...
>
> PCI LKM support has been in -current for quite some time (I
> think I added it one year ago), but I temporarily removed it,
> when I completely rewrote the PCI code.

hmm... ok...

> If you need it, it is easy to put back. The API was that the
> PCI LKM just called
>
> 	pci_register_lkm(struct pci_device *p, int rev)
>
> with the parameter of the DATA_SET and rev=0.
>
> The rescan was automatically performed from within that LKM
> registration function.

so, did the pci_register_lkm do this? or was this another function
that would do this?

> Sorry, I'm in a hurry, now. If there is any need for PCI LKM
> support, I may be able to put back that feature over the weekend.

if you could, just send me the patches... I'll make sure that they
work with the new system...

> I also prepared a simple shell script that could be run from
> /etc/rc and which searched for PCI devices that had no driver
> compiled in, and tried to modload the corresponding driver
> (actually used for one ATM card driver, so far).

interesting... could you include that too?

thanks.. ttyl..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD