Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 00:23:11 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        randy@psg.com (Randy Bush)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cds disappeared

Randy Bush wrote...
> >> had done so.  and reconfigured it too.
> > Re-configured it?  You should build it from the port.
>
> i did.  i said reconfigured TOO.

Ahh, okay.

> > Did you do a full buildworld?
>
> yes.  and did an installworld, mergemaster, and built a new kernel.  i have
> been making freebsds for a while, though i make mistakes all the time and
> presume this is one.

From what I see below, though, this probably isn't a software issue.

> > camcontrol tur cd0 -v
> > camcontrol inquiry cd0
>
>     # camcontrol tur cd0 -v
>     Unit is not ready
>     (pass2:ahc0:0:4:0): TEST UNIT READY. CDB: 0 0 0 0 0 0
>     (pass2:ahc0:0:4:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
>     (pass2:ahc0:0:4:0): Medium not present

Well, there's your problem, for better or worse.

>     # camcontrol inquiry cd0
>     pass2: <TEAC CD-ROM CD-532S 1.0A> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
>     pass2: 20.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 16)
>
> there is a cd in the drive and the green ready light is solidly on.

Well, the green light may be on, but the drive doesn't think it has a CD in
it.  I don't know why, but the above error message from test unit ready is
a SCSI error message, straight from the drive.  That's why you can't mount
the CD, and that's why xmcd won't work.  The drive doesn't think it has
media.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry