Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 2000 20:13:01 -0500
From:      Mathew Kanner <mat@cs.mcgill.ca>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ata + vinum problems

On Mar 15, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > 	Replying to myself.  By now this is probably the wrong list.
> > 	I'm not sure what to do anymore.  I've tried to set the bios
> > settings back to what I've had when it worked it it doesn't seem to
> > want to go.  I've set the drives for ata/66 and ata/33.  I've moved
> > IRQ's around and even tried forcing them.  Here are sets of dmesg and
> > backtraces.  This also happens with a kernel and modules compiled on
> > sunday.
> > 	The part that really bothers me is that I have a nearly
> > identical machine, except for an extra drive in it that originally had
> > the same problems but when I disabled the extra periphs, the problem
> > went away.
>
> I'm a bit behind in my mail, and I don't have time to give this proper
> attention yet, but I do see that your problem relates to soft
> updates.  It's not clear that the soft updates themselves are a cause
> of the problem, or just a facilitator, but it would be interesting to
> see what happens if you turn them off.  Note also that there are some
> bogons in your config, to judge by the vinum startup messages.  I'll
> analyse this in a day or two when I (hopefully) have more time.

	The bogons me were messing me around with Vinum before I
figured out that the crash had messed up one of the disklabels.  This
occurs occasionally after a crash.
	I did try it couple of days back with and without softupdates.
Softupdates only made the problems appear more quickly but
I've lost track of all the combinations that's I've tried so I
should try one more time without.

	Thanks,
	--Mat