Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 1996 21:22:07 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        "Gestur A. Grjetarsson" <gestur@islandia.is>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org, hardware@FreeBSD.org, admin@islandia.is
Subject:   Re: system frequently hangs, and most often automatically reboots on daily basis.

>Greetings,
>

>We are experiencing some drastic failures in our main server
>
>wich is the main server for servicing the Internet to our dialup
>
>account customers.
>

>The failure is in few words:
>

>The system frequently hangs, often it reboots automatically without
>
>any notice or much workload.

Can you drp into the debugger when it hangs?  If so, what does the output
of "ps" in the debugger tell you?

Whe you say that it reboots, do you know the machine experienced a panic
and then simply timed out and rebooted or if the machine simply
spontaneously rebooted?  If its panicing, that will most likely point
right to the problem.

Are you running a custom kernel with all unnecessary devices stripped out?

Have you tried swapping ram?

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations