Date:      03 Dec 2000 12:20:44 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@OutBounderInc.com>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   4.2R on Thinkpad 560x: disk spin-up/down, *slow* (3.x was fine)

I just put 4.2R on a Thinkpad 560x where I've been running 3.x for
years without problem.  It's incredibly slow and appears to have
problems with the disk (internal IDE).  When it's accessing it, it
sounds like is spins up, does an access, then spins down. During
compilation or similar this causes it to make a lot of noise and be
very slow.

Could it be something in the APM? an interrupt problem?

I'm also running NT on it and it seems the same as ever, so I don't
believe the disk is dying. Plus, I had no problems with the 3.x series.

Any thoughts where I can start looking for problems, diagnostics I can
run?

I might try re-installing with 3.5R and see if that helps -- it's not
really usable now with 4.2R. :-(

Thanks!