Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 20:47:36 -0500
From:      Shawn Carey <smc@servtech.com>
To:        stesin@gu.net
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, dyson@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone else seen this?

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997 13:28:28 Andrew Stesin said:

>       Just curious, what will happen in case the program file affected
>       by this bug will occasionally reside on a R/O-mounted FS?
>
>       If the kernel will eat this difference quietly, without
>       any strange side effects, crashes, messages or so -- I'd probably
>       wonder...

Yes, it will.  I tried this today, and even GDB was happy.  As soon as I
remounted the filesystem R/W the problem reappeared...

So, it seems to me we have two interesting data points regarding this:

1) Statically linked binaries are not affected by this phenomenon.
2) Binaries residing on R/O filesystems are not affected either.

Does anyone know anything else?

-Shawn