Date:      Tue, 05 Mar 2002 19:08:16 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        re@FreeBSD.org, audit@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Extending loader(8) for loading kerels/modules split across

John Baldwin wrote:

> On 05-Mar-02 Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Please review attached patch, which adds long overdue feature to our
> > loader(8), allowing it to load sequence of files as  a single object.
> > This should allow us to lift 1.44M limit on compressed kernel for the
> > installation diskette. Please note, that to use this feature to load
> > gzip-compressed objects you need to split the object first and then
> > compress each piece individually, not compress first and then split
> > already compressed file. Therefore tight fitting of each piece to the
> > 1.44M limit could be a little tricky, but not impossible. Other way
> > around is to use kgzip(8) utility to compress kernel and then split it
> > into pieces 1.44M each.
> >
> > If there are no objections I would like to commit it ASAP, so that our
> > RE team is able to use this feature in the forthcoming 5.0-DP1
> > release.
> >
> > Any feedback is appreciated.
>
> Looks good to me I guess. :)  Do you have an example loader.conf that can be
> used on the floppies to demonstrate it?

You probably meant loader.rc? Very simple:

	load -n3 /kernel /kernel.1 /kernel.2

This will load kernel out of 3 pieces - they could be either /kernel,
/kernel.1 and /kernel.2 or /kernel.gz, /kernel.1.gz and /kernel.2.gz
or any combination of those. Just as an example I've split stock
kern.flp image from 4.5-RELEASE into two images - they could be
downloaded from http://people.freebsd.org/~sobomax/kern.flp.bz2 and
http://people.freebsd.org/~sobomax/kern1.flp.bz2.

-Maxim