Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 2001 14:09:49 +0000
From:      Chris Elsworth <chrise@demon.net>
To:        Simon Loader <simon@herculeez.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw query..

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 02:05:11pm +0000, Simon Loader wrote:
> Bradley Kite wrote:
> >
> > I'm sure there is a flag you can append to the end of
> > the pipe rules, that tell ipfw to continue going through the rules
> > instead of stopping when they match.
> >
> > I cant remember what the flag is tho, sorry :-(
>

> > > I'm sure I'm doing something really fundamentally wrong here, but if I do
> > > this with ipfw:
> > >

> > > 00300    0        0 pipe 15 ip from any to 195.11.8.227
> > > 00400    0        0 pipe 20 ip from 195.11.8.227 to any
> > >
> > > and then later on:
> > >
> > > 03000    0        0 unreach host tcp from any to 195.11.8.227 3306
> > >

> couldnt you move rule 3000 to 290 or something ?
>
> Or prehaps you havent a ceratin reason for this order ?

Here's the order I do it in..

>--

pipes first - I was planning to do everything so I could count it and
	bandwidth limit it
deny anything appearing to come from RFC1918 ranges
deny any ports I specifically don't want people to see like 3306
deny any source IPs I specifically don't want to let in
allow selected priviledged ports (ssh, smtp, et al)
allow selected outbound accesses (tho this is paranoid and could go)
deny everything else

>--

If I don't put the pipes first then I can't bandwidth limit, because when
the packets go through one of the allow rules, to, say, sshd - then
they'll never see the pipe and won't get limited or counted. So the pipes
have to come first..

--
Chris Elsworth               tel: 020 8371 1041        _            .
Systems Administrator        mob: 07968 324 693       demon @ thus . .