Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 13:13:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bart Trzynadlowski <trzy@powernet.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   sio2 often fails to initialize

Hi,
	I set about to reconfigure my kernel and everything works great
except for sio2. My COM3 port is unusual, it has the port address 0x3e8
with an IRQ of 10 so I commented out the relevant sio2 line in my
configuration file and replaced it with this:

device	sio2	at isa? port 0x3e8 tty irq 10 vector siointr

It works fine the first time I boot FreeBSD. In fact, it also works if I
reboot BUT if I use the modem on cuaa2 (for user PPP) during a session
and then reboot sio2 is no longer found.
	Before I used the GENERIC kernel and /boot/loader set the port,
irq, and flags for me. But even if I book my new kernel through
/boot/loader (I just boot straight to the kernel with my new one
regularly) it doesn't help. I suspect this has something to do with the
modem not properly hanging up or the COM port not being de-initialized.
But why would it work most of the time with the GENERIC kernel?

Thanks,

Bart Trzynadlowski