Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 1996 09:13:24 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Kevin_Swanson@BLaCKSMITH.com (Kevin Swanson)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: muliport boards - building a PPP dialup server

Kevin Swanson stands accused of saying:

> I am looking into building a dialup server running freebsd 2.1, that
> will allow users ppp access into an ethernet network of unix machines.
>
> The server has the following configuration:
>
> 	L-486 Series System Board
> 	33 MHz Intel 486DX2 CPU

ie. a DX2/66, correct?

> 	15 MB RAM
> 	2 full size EISA slots, 1 half-size ISA
> 	Onboard IDE controller
> 	Internal IDE Drive - Western Digital AC31600 (1549.4 MB)
> 	Intel EtherExpress 16 ISA Card

Hmm, not 100% sure about the EtherExpress; if it gives you trouble replace
it with an SMC EtherEz.

> I want to add an ISA multiport serial card to this server and hang
> up to 8 serial devices from it. Can you buy a multiport card that has
> different speed limits on each port? For example, I'd like to have
> maybe four high-speed connections up to 115.2KBps for user
> connections, two ports that go to 57.6 KBps max and 2 ports that are
> only 9600 baud.

Don't bother; just get an 8-port "dumb" serial card with 16550's on it.
You shouldn't have to pay more than a couple hundred dollars for it,
and your system will handle a fair number of these ports flat out.

> Basically, I'm going to be hanging some serial devices from this
> that I don't need a fast connection for. If I want some ports to go up
> to 115.2, do they all have to? I'm looking to save some money if
> possible.

Because the machine's not going to be doing much else, you've got
plenty of CPU left over to handle dumb ports.  There's nothing any
slower and cheaper that would offer acceptable functionality.

> I've seen that some people have have used Digi PC/8 boards for this
>type of thing? Digi also has "intelligent" models (PC/Xe, PC/Xr,
>PC/Xem) that have a front-end processor and don't require an interrupt
>on the computer? Has anybody gotten these "intelligent" boards to work
>with freebsd 2.1?

Of course, but any "intelligent" serial board will conflict with your
"save some money" requirement; the cost per port is over double that
of a "dumb" card, and in your case it's not warranted.