Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2008 14:10:04 GMT
From:      Martin Birgmeier <martin@email.aon.at>
To:        freebsd-x11@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/119091: x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel 2.1.1 panics system

The following reply was made to PR ports/119091; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Martin Birgmeier <martin@email.aon.at>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:05:40 +0100 (CET)

 The system has not crashed again since I have switched back to the
 i810 driver, with the sole exception mentioned above.

 Thinking of it, this single crash might be due to the fact that at
 that time, I stopped X11, modified xorg.conf to load the i810 instead
 of the intel driver, and restarted X11 again, all without rebooting
 the system. Since the system had not been rebooted, dirt (incorrent
 memory mappings, for example) might have been left over from the
 previous running of the intel driver.

 This reminds of yet another thing: A few months ago, while I was
 waiting for the intel driver to mature, I would regularly switch
 to it (again by the stop X11 -> edit xorg.conf -> restart X11
 sequence), check that it did not work (mostly because of huge fonts),
 and try to switch back to the i810 driver. When restarting X11 again
 with the i810 driver the system would invariably freeze/panic/whatever.