Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:42:47 -0800
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X.org 1.5.3, hald(8), and ability to use misc/compat6x

--OxpYUbrsx40GOZXC

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 08:36:34AM -0800, David Wolfskill wrote:
> After upgrading to X.org 1.5.3...
>=20
> So is a hald(8) (and dbus(8)) built under RELENG_6 supposed to work
> in a RELENG_7 environment that has the misc/compat6x port installed?

Nevermind.  :-{

A RELENG_6-build dbus & hald work fine when RELENG_7 or HEAD has the
misc/compat6x port installed:

X.Org X Server 1.5.3
Release Date: 5 November 2008
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 6.4-STABLE i386=20
Current Operating System: FreeBSD g1-37.catwhisker.org 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD =
8.0-CURRENT #928: Wed Jan 21 07:46:38 PST 2009     root@g1-37.catwhisker.or=
g:/common/S4/obj/usr/src/sys/CANARY i386
Build Date: 24 January 2009  06:31:47PM
=2E..
(II) config/hal: Adding input device AT Keyboard
=2E..
(II) config/hal: Adding input device PS/2 Mouse

I had some order- and timing-of-operations issues.

In particular, I found that augmenting the begining of my xdm
start-up script with:

        until hald=3D$(check_process hald-addon-mouse-sysmouse); [ -n "${ha=
ld}" ]; do
                sleep 1
        done
        # Stupid hack -- the above check is evidently insufficient to
        # ensure that X.org can actually "initialise context: (null) ((null=
))"
        sleep 7

seems to allow things to work.  (The value "7" seconds was determined
empirically.)  I had started checking for "hald", then checked for
"hald-addon-mouse-sysmouse"; when that was still insufficient, I
added the 7-second sleep.

(My xdm start-up script is invoked via init(8), out of /etc/ttys.)

Peace,
david
--=20
Depriving a girl or boy of an opportunity for education is evil.

--OxpYUbrsx40GOZXC

--OxpYUbrsx40GOZXC--