Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 09:33:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.hda.com>
To:        Steve Coltrin <spcoltri@hrothgar.omcl.org>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: digital camera

> "eric k. wolven" <wyrdwulf@catskill.net> writes:
>
> > I'm thinking of finally getting a digital camera.
> >
> > Is there one that seems to do "better" with freebsd?
> >
> > What about the software to move the pic(s) to the pc?
>
> I've got a Sony DSC-S70; I just plug it into a USB port and it appears as
> /dev/da2s1 (da2 because I have 2 SCSI drives). Requires devices scbus, da,
> and either uhci or ohci in kernel config, and usb and umass either in config
> or loaded as modules.
>
> I have one problem with this setup, though; when I unplug the camera, the
> USB subsystem seems to crash: the umass driver won't re-attach the camera
> if I plug it back in, and usbdevs(8) hangs.  Anyone else seen this? have a
> fix?

Hmm, I'm using FreeBSD 4.2 and have that problem with formatting the
memory stick but haven't had the usbdevs hang.  I don't suppose you've
stumbled on a way to get the camera firmware level?  I just checked
the camera menus and couldn't see one.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault (dufault@hda.com)   Realtime development, Machine control,
HD Associates, Inc.               Fail-Safe systems, Agency approval