Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2013 01:56:46 -0000
From:      "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
To:        "Jeremy Chadwick" <jdc@koitsu.org>, "Michael BlackHeart" <amdmiek@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Old ICH7 SATA-2 question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Chadwick" <jdc@koitsu.org>
> On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 02:28:08AM +0400, Michael BlackHeart wrote:
>> 2013/2/24 Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>:
>>
>> {snipping irrelevant stuff and fixing formatting}
>>
>> atapci1@pci0:0:31:2:    class=0x01018f card=0x26011043 chip=0x27c08086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
>>     vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
>>     device     = 'N10/ICH7 Family SATA IDE Controller'
>>
>> {snip}
>
> I had written up a significantly longer reply to this Email, but once I
> finished and went back reviewing the information provided, my memory
> recalled having this exact conversation some time ago.  After some
> extensive digging, I found it -- circa late 2008:
>
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2008-October/046306.html
>
> The result of this conversation was that FreeBSD at the time -- this
> would have been probably FreeBSD 8.0 or 8.1 -- contained a bug:
> ata_chipset.c (part of the classic ata(4) driver) was misidentifying the
> different revisions of ICH7 and therefore limiting controller capacities
> incorrectly.
>
> Possibly a regression has been introduced as a result of the ATA-via-CAM
> migration (now the default), which uses a completely different set of
> code.

pciconf:-
atapci1@pci0:0:31:2: class=0x01018f card=0x26011043 chip=0x27c08086
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00

The PCI ID's listed aren't AHCI so are using legacy ata not ahci, the two
devices listed are:-
{ ATA_I82801GB,     0,          0, 1, ATA_UDMA5, "ICH7" },
{ ATA_I82801GB_S1,  0, INTEL_ICH7, 0, ATA_SA300, "ICH7" },

Boot details:-
atapci0: <Intel ICH7 UDMA100 controller> port..
ata0: <ATA channel> at channel 0 on atapci0
atapci1: <Intel ICH7 SATA300 controller> port...
ata2: <ATA channel> at channel 0 on atapci1
ata3: <ATA channel> at channel 1 on atapci1

Then your disks:-
ada3 at ata2 bus 0 scbus1 target 1 lun 0
ada3: <WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 51.0AB51> ATA-8 SATA 3.x device

So your disks are in theory connected to a sata 2 compatible controller
which is being correctly identified.

You might want to try a verbose boot to see if that gives any information.

Also check your bios to see if it has an AHCI mode for the controller
and try that as its currently running in legacy.

    Regards
    Steve

or return the E.mail to postmaster@multiplay.co.uk.