Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 16:35:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ron Steele <rjs@asd.banctec.com>
To:        adrian@virginia.edu
Cc:        "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what is bsdish?

On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Christoph P. Kukulies wrote:
>

> > I had a discussion with someone recently about flavors of OSs
> > and I was stating that HP-UX (Version 9.05) is SYSV flavor.
> > It has ps -edf, different kernel build environment, no /etc/rc.
> > He was stating HP-UX *is* BSD. Now what makes a SYSV system, what
> > makes a BSD system?
>
> 	Well, the Aeleen Frish's "Essential System Administration" uses
> the presence or absence of /etc/inittab to classify machines.  It's
> pretty goot all in all.  I think another indicator of  a kernels true
> lineage is whether the group ownership of a file is inhereted from the
> containing directory without the sgid bit being set.  This use of the
> sgid bit is for BSD compatiblity.
>
> 	BTY, I believe HP-UX 9.x is SRV3 derived whereas HP-UX 10.x is
> SRV4.  HP-UX does have a bunch of BSDisms though. (Not enough for me
> thoguh. ;-)
>
> 	Adrian
>         System Administrator for the NVL, NIIMS and Telemedicine labs

My understanding, from talking with a person from HP who should know, is that
HP-UX 10.x still uses the old code base - it definately is not
a rewrite, or SYSVR4, they just added another layer over the same old stuff.
This includes the changes to the file system.  Also, the BSDish features of
HP-UX do not share code with the SYSV features. It's like two OS's in one.
I have no first hand knowledge of this (I'm just a user), just passing
along rumors.

Sorry this is off the subject, but HP-UX is a hot-button for me.

Ron Steele