Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:37:14 +0300
From:      Stefan Lambrev <stefan.lambrev@sun-fish.com>
To:        "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ntpd just sits there and does nothing

Hi,

[LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
> Doug Hardie wrote:
>
>> On Jul 19, 2007, at 10:08, [LoN]Kamikaze wrote:
>>

>>> As the subject says, on my 6-stable systems ntpd just sits there and does
>>> nothing. The logs only mention when the daemon gets started or shut
>>> down. It
>>> complains when servers are not reachable, but does nothing when they
>>> are available.
>>>
>>> The drift file always contains 0.00.
>>>
>>> ntpdate and openntpd both successfully manage to set the time, so I
>>> suppose
>>> it's a problem with ntpd.
>>>
>> Are you on a static IP address?  If not, ntpd obtains its IP address
>> when it starts up and uses it forever.  If your IP address changes then
>> it will not be able to communicate with the upstream ntp servers.  It
>> has to be restarted everytime your IP address changes.
>>

> I have a static address. The trouble is it seems to operate fine, only it
> forgets to change the time when it differs from the time servers too much.
> Sometimes my clock goes wrong more than 1 second within a day.

ntpd will not change time if the difference is too big - I think it
should be less then 1000s.
ntpdate will :)

Also if you have increased your kernel secure level 2+ :

           In addition, kernel time changes are restricted to less than or
           equal to one second.  Attempts to change the time by more
than this
           will log the message ``Time adjustment clamped to +1 second''.

So grep for ntpd in /var/log/messages and I'm sure you will find the
problem.

Other problem that I see is if you are behind NAT/firewall.
Because ntpd make a request and wait for response on different port, so
check your firewall configuration and blocked packets.