Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 1996 21:28:21 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        dicen@hooked.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: User ppp not hanging up modem.

Nate Williams wrote:
 % That's *NOT* the correct thing.  What happens when for some reason
 % PPP happens to send the sequence '+++' to the modem?  All of a sudden
 % it'll drop into command mode and you're screwed.  User-PPP (as well as
 % all other PPP/SLIP implementations I've worked with) assumes that you've
 % disabled the escape sequence at least temporarily.

dicen@hooked.net replied:
 > Interesting. But, what exactly is the prabobalitity of that? I will have
 > think about this one.

Nearly 100%, in my case.  This mail message, for instance, would cause
the modem to drop into command mode and the PPP link to hang.  Much of
the source code I work on between home and work has comments that look
like:

	//++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
	//
	// Foo: this object really does nothing; it is a syntatical
	// meta-object.
	//
	//++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Zappo snappo, down comes the link!

 % Most of this *is* already documented in the FreeBSD handbook.

 > Nope. Nope. Nope. I have look through the entire /usr/share/doc tree and
 > didn't find anything about ppp not hanging up modems, etc.. Someone
 > please put this in the FAQ. I have read usenet posts about this one.
 > Other people are going through the hell I did. I don't like spending
 > hours debuging code only to discover the code is fine and my modem is
 > misconfigured (sure I should have thought of it first).

FreeBSD Handbook : Basic Networking : Dialup access : Modem Settings,
section 11.4.6, tells you exactly how to setup your modem to make it
work with PPP under FreeBSD.  If you're going to assume you know more
about modems and FreeBSD than the contributors who wrote the handbook,
don't be surprised when you get bitten.