Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 1995 15:08:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Matthew Diez <mdiez@ebrps.engr.subr.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Slip w/ 2.0

I have to get this off of my chest, having watched Linux EAT my
filesystems 8 times already, I gave up on it.  So I decided to eat crow
and try out FreeBSD.  Well, the 2.0R was about as bad as Linux, and kept
on eating my filesystems (this is a dx-2/66, 8 RAM, ISA, 420 mb IDE hd).
Well, I gave it one more chance, and the 950412 snapshot works beautifully!
In fact, I'll keep FreeBSD as my ONLY UN*X if I can figure out one thing:
To establish SL/IP i normally have to use SLIRP(a pseudo-slip connection
on the AIX machine I dial into). The only thing I've had success using is
Trumpet Winsock(don't laugh).
My usual connection is like this:

login: /*I enter my username*/
password: /*enter the password*/
$: /*at the prompt I type 'slirp' and the manually initiate slip with
winsock*/
Since I've never used Kermit or anything _decent_ like it, I would like
to know the easiest way to configure my system for this pseudo-slip
connection. I tried Satoshi Asami's SLIP Client doc but that didn't work.

Having said my piece, I bid you adieu.