Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:12:48 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@kayjay.nl>
To:        Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reproducible panic kldunloading nvidia

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 02:15:15PM -0400, Christopher Rued wrote:
> Subhro wrote:
>
> >This happens when your world and kernel are out of sync. Remake the
> >world and the kernel and install them and try it out.
> >
> Hmm...it's odd that this should only happen with one module, though, right?

I don't think the panic has anything to do with world/kernel out of sync
but it is a, hm, "feature" of the nvidia module. I had the same problem
while upgrading the nvidia-driver port and have seen someone else on one of
the lists describing the same.

> I always go through the full make mergemaster -p, buildworld, buildkernel,
> installkernel, installworld, mergemaster cycle...I don't think I've recently
> stopped mid-way.  I do frequently cvsup sources (just to observe changes),
> and then not compile, but I don't think this should be an issue, unless the
> nvidia driver compiles against sources in /usr/src.

The nvidia driver *does* build against kernel sources (/usr/src/sys), so
be careful here!

> I'm due for an update anyway, so I'll probably just go ahead and rebuild
> everything and see what happens.
>
> >BTW if you want to unload it then delete the necessesary lines from
> >/boot/loader.conf
> >
> Thanks for the tip -- I'll probably try this first, before rebuilding my
> system.

/boot/loader.conf is read at boot time, it doesn't have any influence on
modules loaded/unloaded while running. Of course, it is a good idea to
edit it when you don't intend to load the unloaded module on next boot.

As for the crash on unload: I don't know for a solution except for not
doing an unload. I have no need for it anyway, even when temporarily
switching to the nv driver I leave the nvidia module untouched as it
doesn't really hurt AFAIK. It's quite annoying on the portupgrade, to
play it safe you could reboot without loading the module.

Finally, keep in mind that the nvidia module might have a tendency to
crash your machine anyway, see the "nvidia/BSD FAQ" at
http://soulwax.net/nvidia/ for some useful hints and advice.

Karel.