Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:15:19 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: C Programing tools

Frank Pawlak wrote:

	I can't recommend any books, I didn't really like the textbook for my
intro C course. There is a LOT of info on this topic in the archives
however, and some good recommendations in the (on line) handbook.

> Also what tools (ports) will I have to have installed on my FreeBSD
> system to run and compile some of my work?  The prof wants me to work in
> Winblows, and I explained about the bad case of hives that I get every
> time I boot that S--- up.

	FreeBSD comes with a C compiler (gcc). If you didn't install the
developer package you should do that, since you will need the include
files. Also, I agree with Greg that (x)emacs is the easiest way to
write/edit C code. Install one or the other and read the docs about the
C code macro stuff. Make sure to enable colors, it adds to the
excitement. :)

Good luck,

Doug