Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 19:07:11 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        a l <hakubi_@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.7-STABLE upgrade boot failure.

# hakubi_@hotmail.com / 2003-01-21 09:42:23 -0800:
> ># hakubi_@hotmail.com / 2003-01-21 08:36:33 -0800:
> >>
> >>  No, I'm not. At this point I'm not sure of anything, seems like. All
> >I've
> >> done in /dev is a MAKEDEV std with the MAKEDEV directly from /usr/src,
> >> without removing the devices currently in there. It was my understanding
> >> that that would rebuild everything.
> >
> >    did you let mergemaster run MAKEDEV for you, or did you run
> >
> >    /dev/MAKEDEV std
> >
> >    while being in /usr/src? If the latter, you didn't rebuild the
> >    devices in /dev/, you created them in /usr/src instead! That would
> >    indeed explain your problems.
>
>  No, I just meant that I copied MAKEDEV from /usr/src into /dev, and
>  then ran ./MAKEDEV std from /dev, as per the UPDATING instructions.

    hmm, does UPDATING say you should do that? all I know is mergemaster
    asks whether I want to have /dev/* rebuilt, and I let it do so.

    UPDATING notwithstanding, you did *not* rebuild ad{4,5}*. take a
    look in /dev/MAKEDEV: calling it with "std" does not touch ad* at
    all. what you want is:

    cd /dev && ./MAKEDEV all ad4 ad5

>  Sorry for replying privately, this account isn't on the list. I'll be
>  sure to CC it in from now on.

    thanks; I *really* prefer to not receive personal copies, though.