Date:      Tue, 21 Aug 2007 15:45:58 -0400
From:      "Josh Carroll" <josh.carroll@gmail.com>
To:        "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, dougb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building UNSTRIPPED binaries in ports?

> Is there some make.conf or compile time flag that I can set that would
> prevent the stripping from happening?
>
> Or would I just have to manually edit the makefile someplace -- and if so,
> can anyone give a pointer as to where?  Setting the strip command to
> /bin/true or something, perhaps -- but I can't be sure if the
> strip_command is being used.

A quick perusal of /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk shows this:

# WITH_DEBUG            - If set, debugging flags are added to CFLAGS and the
#                         binaries don't get stripped by INSTALL_PROGRAM.
#                         Besides, individual ports might add their specific
#                         to produce binaries for debugging purposes.
#                         You can override the debug flags that are passed to
#                         the compiler by setting DEBUG_FLAGS. It is set to
#                         "-g" at default.

so try adding WITH_DEBUG...

Josh