Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2000 19:48:00 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Alexander Prohorenko <white@extra.dp.ua>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fd1720

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 07:40:29PM +0200, Alexander Prohorenko wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 08:52:52AM -0800, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > > Did anybody suceed with fd1720 flopies ?   I couldn't write any single
> > > 1720K image there.
> > you must fdformat /dev/fd0.1720 (check syntax) first, otherwise
> > the write fails when it hits the first sector (sec.19 track 0) which
> > is supposed to be there but is not
> > Note that almost surely you won't be able to boot from that disk.
>
> Luigi.
>
> Thank you, your advise was very helpfull.  However, I supposed to boot
> from it, but didn't get anyting except the FreeBSD BOOT loader.  That's
> bad.  I miss about 30KB on a usual fd1440 diskette to run my PicoBSD
> build on, that's why I'm digging into this format.
>
> Can you suggest me something in this case?  Looks like FreeBSD BOOT
> loader doesn't know anything about disk partitioning for such
> "stressed" formats.

To quote luigi's commit message, introducing this functionality
to -stable's PicoBSD..

luigi       2000/12/21 18:11:14 PST

  Modified files:        (Branch: RELENG_4)
    release/picobsd/build build

  Log:

  Add support for different floppy sizes (1480, 1720, 2880).
  The "1720" format will not boot most likely.

  The "1480" format (really 1476KB, 18 sectors x 82 tracks) does
  boot fine on the systems i have tried.

Can you try 1480?

G'luck,
Peter