Date:      Mon, 31 Oct 2005 14:24:27 -0800
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   KTR changes

I've done a quick audit of the tree and found this number of KTR uses
for each label.

Label           Count
----            -----
KTR_GEN		30
KTR_NET		0
KTR_DEV		1
KTR_LOCK	36
KTR_SMP		55
KTR_FS		0
KTR_PMAP	28
KTR_MALLOC	0
KTR_TRAP	31
KTR_INTR	35
KTR_SIG		21
KTR_CLK		1
KTR_PROC	31
KTR_SYSC	27
KTR_INIT	10
KTR_KGDB	0
KTR_IO		0
KTR_EVH		9
KTR_VFS		19
KTR_VOP		102 (Due to dynamically generated vop files)
KTR_VM		5
KTR_WITNESS	10
KTR_RUNQ	30
KTR_CONTENTION	2
KTR_UMA		2
KTR_CALLOUT	3
KTR_GEOM	23
KTR_BUSDMA	56
KTR_CRITICAL	2
KTR_SCHED	25
KTR_BUF		26

As such, I'd like to mark the following unused and free for allocation:
KTR_NET, KTR_FS, KTR_MALLOC, KTR_KGDB, KTR_IO

These should be merged the following under KTR_MALLOC (KTR_MEM?):
KTR_UMA: uma_zalloc_arg, uma_zfree_arg
KTR_VM: vmspace_alloc, vmspace_free, vm_map_create, vm_map_entry_unlink

Merge under KTR_SYNCH (KTR_LOCK?):
KTR_CRITICAL: critical enter/exit
KTR_CONTENTION: mutex contention start/end

Merge under KTR_TIMER:
KTR_CLK: hard clock firing
KTR_CALLOUT: Giant or mutex-based callout run

Also, it appears that we overran into KTR_CTx space with KTR_UMA
(rwatson).  Is this something that needs to be changed or should we
reduce KTR_CTx?

Last, I'd like to add a new level, KTR_POWER, for use with power
management events.  Since we only have 32 bits of KTR levels, it's
important to use them carefully.  Comments on all this are welcome.

-Nate