Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2000 15:22:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Allan Dib <dib.allan.l@edumail.vic.gov.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting straight into X GUI

On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Allan Dib wrote:
> This is probably very basic, but I have not done it before on FreeBSD.
> How do I get my box to boot startight to the X/KDE GUI rather than using
> the usual startx command. On linux this was done by modifying runlevels
> but I beleive it's different on BSD boxes.....

	It depends on your shell.  I use FreeBSD csh so if I put startx at
the end of my .login file it will execute upon logging in and start X
automatically.  I personally can't stand that, so I made an alias from x
to startx.  Then all I type is x if I choose to run it instead of using
the console.  For you we would have to know what shell you use.  Or you
could read the manpage for your shell to discover for yourself.

						Tim