Date:      Sat, 08 Feb 2003 14:06:07 -0500
From:      Mikel King <mikel.king@ocsny.com>
To:        "'freebsd-advocacy'" <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, BSD Advocacy <bsd-advocacy@daemonnews.org>
Subject:   There must be something in the water...

I recently fell into the thread of the past two weeks or so regarding
the BSD public relations effort. I generally just lurk on the lists and
offer help as needed. Ok in any event I recently attended the LinuxWorld
thing here in NY and well it saddened greatly to find that bsdmall and
netbsd were the only ones from our camp representing. Especially since
5.0 was only release a few days prior. Therefore I thought to myself
what can I do. I ended up spending a considerable amount of my day at
various hardware manufacturers booths extolling the benefits of
advantages of the BSD way.

That's all water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned. I see some
rumblings and a wave of movement here. I think that's a good thing. So
the question that keeps poping up in the back of my mind is where are we
now and where do we go from here?

I saw a suggestion for a calendar of events, and that's a good idea. How
about speaking engadgements? Does anyone have a proclivity for public
speaking? I beleive that O'Rielly has a call for papers and
tutorials...maybe a few of us could right a good tutorial say deploying
XYZ technology, and of course the system upon which we demonstrate the
deployment would be a BSD. I think we can all agree the Michael and Dru
are gifted authors if we ask really nicely maybe they'll offer to help.

I think that we have to start looking for these future oppurtunities. We
should start preparing for next year's tradeshows now.

Another suggestion worth considering is adding interviews to sites like
Daemon News and BSD Diary. Why not interview technology types or even
CEOs who's comany rely on some sort of BSD. You see them all the time in
the tech rags about Linux and even MySQL they usually go something
like...I'm chatting with the Mark Johnson the CIO of XYZ Corp, who uses
FreeBSD for all of their companies mail and web servers....

These are just some of the thought I've been having since the lw
expo...I just have a feeling that it's BSD time.

Also the commotion started is worth patting yourselves on the
back...I've read everything that has appeared on the list sine Jan 22,
and all things aside I think Stacy has done a bang up job of if nothing
else keeping the ball in play.

--
Cheers,
Mikel King

You may like them. You will see. You may
like them in a tree.
http://www.FreeBSD.org
http://www.OpenOffice.org
http://www.Mozilla.org