Date:      Tue, 25 Jan 2000 22:42:53 +0100
From:      Roelof Osinga <roelof@nisser.com>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: editors question #2

Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 25, 2000 at 03:43:17PM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
>

> > In Greg Lehey's book, he states that he feels emacs is easier to learn
> > and more powerful than VI.  Obviously it is more powerful, but does
> > anyone think it is also easier to learn?  It *seems* to me than it
> > is easier to learn one- or two-letter commands than keystroke combinations,
> > especially when it takes more than one combination.  Like i said, i don't want
> > to start a war here, but i am a student and i want to develop solid skills
> > with a good, powerful editor.  Right now, i'm trying to decide between
> > these two.  I know emacs is more powerful, but i also know that power
> > comes with a price.

> vi. It's on all UNIX boxes.

emacs. It should be on all UNIX boxes ;).

But let's face it, neither of them are really easy to learn. And even
worse to remember! I've learned both to a somewhat adequate proficient
level, yet now that I could use that knowledge ...

OTOH WordStar commands I can still dream. So maybe jstar (joe) is the way
to go? Even though it's filecompletion is something I'll *never* get
used to.

Roelof

--
Būter, brea en griene tsiis
Hwa dat net ite kin is gjin oprjochte Fries