Date:      Tue, 22 May 2007 08:38:52 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-ports-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        "Lars Wittebrood" <lars@socruel.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xorg upgrade & portmaster

"Lars Wittebrood" <lars@socruel.nu> writes:

> The only message I wanted to give/bring was that I was able to upgrade
> the xorg-libraries port with with portmanager and I described how I did
> it.

Ah.  Sorry; that was rather unclear.

I think any upgrade methods will work fine if you remove enough
X-dependent applications first.  This is impractical for many
production servers, but upgrading from source will be impractical
for such machines anyway (just because it takes too long, and many
programs will be broken for much of the upgrade process).

Even on my build machine (which doubles as my desktop; the server
is a much slower machine), I removed most of my applications to
make sure that the X base would be upgraded first.  That way, I
could force specific applications to be rebuilt quickly when I
wanted them.